NY BOTANICAL GARDEN ORCHID SHOW - LOOK-ALIKE


I immediately thought that this orchid looked like a pansy and it is indeed referred to as the "pansy orchid".

When I began researching this species, I thought it was a Miltonia, but it is a Miltoniopsis.  Miltonia orchids look nothing like the pansies. Miltoniopsis are the species that resemble the common garden flower.  There are quite a few other distinctions, but I won't bore you with the details.

The species is native to South America, mainly Brazil. Most of them grow in the highland rainforests, with fragrant and numerous spikes of long lasting flowers. The modern hybrids can be grown in the home.

I can imagine how beautiful this species would be in a large modern cube with moss on the bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All images and content copyright Jeffrey Schneider of JAMES Modern Terrariums 2009.