WILD ORCHID


 
I was aware that orchids exist in almost every habitat on earth (aside from deserts and glaciers). However, the only orchids I have seen (in the Northeast) have been sad little things. So you can imagine my surprise and delight when I came upon these beautiful pink lady’s slippers (pictured above)! These beautiful specimens rival the vibrant color and size of their tropical relatives!

In all my years of hiking, I’ve never seen this orchid! A friendly hiker told me that there are fields of these orchids in Warwick, NJ.  So, I’m off on a new hike this weekend, along the Appalachian Trail: Wawayanda Mountain, to find the promised colonies of pink lady’s slipper orchids!

After a bit of research, I discovered that these orchids are indeed pink lady’s slippers (Cypripedium acaule Aiton) sometimes called the moccasin flower.

On Monday, fingers crossed, more pictures of the pink lady’s slipper as well as interesting facts about the orchid.

5 comments:

  1. Jeff, it looks pretty. How tall is this? Is it just one in a million, or are there several around the area? Have fun on your hike.

    Jen (Pittsburgh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about 9" high. There were only two in this area, but the woman who told us about our upcoming trip this weekend told us that there were fields of orchids! Hopefully, I'll find them and have more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most beautiful orchid I ever saw in my whole life. It is an unbelievable flower. It is looks like a carnivorous flower. I wish I can see it personally. I know that it is more beautiful in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seem them in the wild in south-west Québec, Canada. They are just like your image. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seem them in the wild in south-west Québec, Canada. They are just like your image. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

All images and content copyright Jeffrey Schneider of JAMES Modern Terrariums 2009.