TAKING MATTERS INTO MY OWN HAND BLOWN GLASS TERRARIUMS



Aside from glass cubes, I have not been able to find vessels I like for my plantings.  So, I decided to design shapes I love and work with a glassblower.

I have always admired artists who work with organic/biomorphic shapes... Anish Kapoor, Dale Chihuly, etc.

I looked to nature for inspiration: amoeba; gourds; pebbles; mushrooms and fungi; beans; even the human heart… anything with beautiful curves that mimic life.

I photographed the glassblowers in their studio as I watched and oversaw the astounding process
(see pictures below).  It was amazing to watch them take my drawings and execute them perfectly into three dimensional works of art!

Hopefully, I’ll find time to learn to blow glass myself.  I want to create every part of my terrariums … from the vessels to the plants inside.

I’ll be posting images of the planted terrariums soon.




Note to any glass blowers, please forgive my rudimentary knowledge of the process.



The glass is heated to white-hot temperatures.



The glass cools to a beautiful glowing orange.  The artists then begin to turn the glass continuously, trimming off excess.



The molten glass is turned and smoothed with a protective cloth.



The glass is blown slowly, at various stages throughout the process.



The glass goes back into the furnace over and over to keep it malleable.



The opening is blown with a cone shaped device to create the perfect diameter.



A torch throws out beautiful colors to keep the glass hot between trips to the furnace and to smooth the surface.

2 comments:

  1. dope! it is the craziest process, trying to control a liquid and shape it into a solid, it is an amazingly difficult process! RESPECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of glass they use?

    ReplyDelete

All images and content copyright Jeffrey Schneider of JAMES Modern Terrariums 2009.